Monday, April 11, 2011

I Love My Rice Cooker

There are so many kitchen appliances to choose from these days. My rice cooker is my new favorite.

Let's start with some of the simple, useful features. There is a delay timer. Add rice and water in the morning, set the timer, and voila! Steamed rice after a long day at work.

Cleanup is easy with a non-stick surface. Wipe it down, clean the lid and it's ready for another round.

There are separate buttons for white and brown rice. Brown rice takes much longer. (I plan on measuring the actual time, but it seems longer than 2 hours.)  Rice cookers take the guesswork out of preparation. They use "fuzzy" logic to determine when the rice is perfectly cooked.

There are many varieties of rice. I plan on sharing a few of my favorite mixes in the near future, along with some of my own recipes. If you like rice and you don't have a rice cooker, it is easy to prepare it on the stove. Having a rice cooker will take some of the work out of meal preparation & we could all use time-saving techniques.

Lately, red and brown rice have been my favorites. If you enjoy barley, no problem, just use the brown rice setting.

Add any combination of raw or sauted onions, fruit (apples or pears) or nuts (hazelnuts, almonds or walnuts) for added texture and flavor.

If you already have a rice cooker, but don't use it, let this act as an inspiration.  If you don't have one yet, consider this as your next kitchen appliance.  You won't be disappointed.  Cheers!

1 comment:

Cheflette-To-Be said...

Agree with everything Michael shared, but wanted to add what to me is easily the Single Best Part of owning a RICE COOKER: perfect rice, every time, any kind. No crunchy undercooked grit, no soggy overcooked mush, & no slimy starchy water. It has a brain (quite literally, but inexpensively) and really is always A-PLUS. Foolproof rice!